"It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences." -Audre Lorde
Historical and recent events remind us that we must be intentional and must do better to guarantee that the rights and freedom of every person in our community are protected.
As the leadership and staff of The Samaritan Inn:
- We denounce racism, ethnic discrimination and the oppression of disenfranchised populations in our community.
- We commit to creating an environment of inclusion, respect and dignity. We believe that everyone should be treated with the esteem and humanity granted to us by the laws of the United States and the word of our creator.
- We believe that every person — no matter who they are, where they are from, the color of their skin, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or economic status — deserves to live in a society where they feel safe, protected, respected, and welcomed. It is not for us to judge, instead, is to provide a helping hand to those who find themselves in need.
- We embrace diversity, equality of rights, equity and boldly affirm these values as core to our mission. We operate with integrity and the desire to ensure the well-being of our staff, our residents, and the communities we serve.
- We respect an individual’s right of self-determination. We believe it is their human right to make decisions over their own lives and to live healthy, productive and independent lives free of harassment and mistreatment.
- We promise to continue our long tradition of providing informed, authentic leadership and to challenge the structures and practices within our society that perpetuate the systematic discrimination and exclusion of any person from the ability to seek the way of life we all seek.
- We value the lives entrusted to us and hope to continue to make every opportunity available to help meet the needs of our residents. We will continue each and every day to roll up our sleeves and advocate for those who are marginalized and who experience the indignity of discrimination in all its forms.
Our collective future requires that all of us commit to these values. Our work will not be complete until all persons have achieved equity and enjoy the fundamental rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
We are in this together,
The Samaritan Inn Family